Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Opening Closed Adoption Records

So a few months back I went to LA to try to get my birth certificate and was told that since I was adopted out of San Bernardino that I had to go there. Fast forward to today...I go to SB to ask for my birth cert. and if I could petition to open my adoption records. Gal at the counter tells me I can't open my records they are closed and that's that. This was a frustrating moment and almost disheartening. I had found a petition years and years back online but chickened out of going through with it... why? Who knows. We get to the counter for the birth certs and I'm told that I have to go back to LA!!! WTH! How frustrating. So here I sit researching what I need to do to open my records. I mean I don't want to hunt my birth parents down or anything. I'm sure they have their lives and they don't care or consider whether I lived or die... cold I know but it was just a time in their lives of bad choices.

I have now been through 3 different departments in the Superior Court of SB. Don't tell  me I can't open my records!!! Dang if I will get this done!!!! Was just told to call back in 10 minutes to talk to an Adoption Clerk!!! Now I'm rockin'!!! :)

Now to figure out the birth certificate mess!!!

So adoptees out there who are hearing the same story... for SB county contact the Superior Courts. Some research done says that you may have to show up to court to present your request for the opening of the records and some judges are easier then others with this request. I hope for each of you that if you are wearing these shoes of opening your records that these may be faded footsteps to follow in the changing sands but that you too may be challenged enough to follow my steps and get somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Update on birth cert: Have to send off to the state. LA doesn't have it and neither does SB. :( We shall see how long it takes to get mine back. Off to a Notary tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete